Monday, March 12, 2012

Technology

Sometimes I wonder about all this technology and people like me who are not technological to a great degree, and not completely ignorant of how it works either.

I put my family on Family Tree software which is an Ancestry.com product and I uploaded one branch of my family, but then Ancestry has all these hints/leaves that they want me to look at and when I do I find so many mistakes in theirs that I don't want to use the information in my tree. I don't want to corrupt my tree and/or not be able to fix it. Okay,

I know we don't have to accept anything we don't want to put in there and I mostly ignore the hints/leaves after checking them out. I want to put my own information that I find on my own or with a little help from Ancestry when I want to. I didn't want to put all these side lines on this branch of the tree but it keeps bugging me to do so and I end up putting in the information because I read these other hints that have the information all wrong and I can't stand by and let it become an accepted misconception on all the other family tree's out there.

Too many people are blandly accepting all they read as true instead of getting at the truth and it is spreading like wildfire does. It is too easy to just accept the work of someone else and it is time consuming and (in my opinion a whole lot more fun) to search out the true records and get the correct information.

I have made a lot of mistakes in my own research because I accepted my mother's work on her line. I actually need to apologize to Mr Adam Mark Fonda because he may (still not sure, doing more research) have been correct in the use of the name Peter for the middle name of my ancestor, even though he told me he did it on his own and not that he found it actually written that way, but because most family's named the son after the father in some way, by using father's given name as the son's middle name, which I find is true in many cases but not all. But I don't intend to use that in my own family tree unless I see in records that it is actually the whole real name of the person.

As I said I put one branch of my grandmother's line on Ancestry and now I have to update it on a weekly or sometimes daily basis as I didn't put in all the children's information or the spouses of the children etc and I don't have all the dates as I should have. I have other tree's started that relate to that tree on Ancestry and I can take that information and transfer it over. I also have my family and my inlaw's family on Tribal Pages which takes up time to update all the time to. So much to do and not enough hours in a day to do it all. Hopefully I will accomplish much on this day if I don't get sleepy, as it is warm and rainy out doors. Have to make some cards today too for some people who are special. Off to the boards.

No comments: