Friday, February 10, 2012

New and Updated Computer and Software

I just purchased a new computer and software and it is like Spanish to me; I know a little but not enough to get the best benefit from everything new. So I am learning all about Windows 7, Word and Excel 2010, downloading and uploading, installing, but have yet to transfer any of my old files to the new computer. I love my old computer. It is a good friend and has been with me about 7 years, but she is slow and cramped and feeling her age. I updated her as far as she could go so I had to get another one. This new one is an HP and what they call a small footprint as it is not as large as my Gateway so takes up less room on my desk. I did have to buy an adapter for my mouse and keyboard as they didn't work with the new HP; had different connections in back, so I did that and now I am pretty much happy with my products. I hated the mouse and keyboard that came with the HP, but I will keep them around in case I decide to keep Gateway and hook her back up to my monitor and use her for things other than the Internet, like my old fun games, and family stuff that I don't want to lose or post on the Internet. She is still good for that but I do want to backup everything there so I can transfer it when I decide to. She has 2 hard-drives, one is a backup for the other, but I still don't know much about how I am going to transfer from one computer to the other. I will have to check into that, maybe purchase something to aid me in doing that. Don't really know right now. I do have some Family Genealogy software that I will install on the HP and then try to transfer my files to it from the Gateway via the program itself. That way I can get back to doing some research on my family and on two other family's I have been working on.

I know I was going to post a lot of information here on what I have on my family names, but I haven't done it. I had no desire to start it even though I said I would. All I have to do is transfer what I have in my documents to this HP from the Gateway. Maybe by disc. I have a CD burner on the Gateway but not a DVD one, so it would take a while to transfer it all. I could buy a flash drive which I think would be much simpler to use. I saw one that was 8 GB for less than $10 and I wish I had purchased it. I could have used it for transferring a lot of files over. I don't even know if this HP DVD burner will use CD's. I have to check the book on it. Well, I just read in the manual that there is an easy way to transfer files from one to another with the Windows Easy Transfer. All I need is to buy a special cable to go from one to the other; it says a regular USB cable will not work. Also it says I can use CD's, DVD's, Memory Sticks and External Hard Drives. I am going to get me an External Hard Drive for backup for this new HP; I wish I had bought one for the Gateway. In fact I think I can still buy one, hook Gateway back up and back up the what I want to transfer only, then transfer to the HP, then keep on backing up the new HP to the External Hard-drive. My HP has a 1TB hard-drive though so I should only back up what I want to keep, not most of the nonsense I have on my Gateway or what I will put on this HP as nonsense. I don't need the games, old letters I have written unless they are proof of something, etc. I do need all my graphics, genealogy files, and at least one copy of my pictures. That reminds me, I have pictures on a couple of flash drives that I can go ahead and transfer now to the HP. So I will get off here and continue working on it. Bye for now.

No comments: