Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Some Great Sites:

I was looking for anything to do with Genealogy and Family History and I found Arlene Eakle's website and blog. She has a new blog on Virginia now that looks to be very interesting. I also like her booklets on Kentucky as I have some ties to Kentucky where my in-laws live, and their ancestors came from Virginia. My ancestors came from New York, and now I see she has a whole set of volume's on "Researching Your Roots in New York - Break Your Losing Streak!" I will definitely have to purchase these even though I have loads of New York information from my mother's research. I also purchased her "Family History for Fun and Profit" but have not used it yet to continue my research. Arlene has also purchased a large warehouse that she has turned into a Genealogy Library where you can leave your genealogy research if it needs a permanent home and will be available for research by others. So I am thinking that because there is no one in my family that really is interested in continuing my research or having all my genealogy records that I will be donating them to Arlene's library where I know they will be well cared for and organized into some semblance of order. I also have all my mothers research that will also go along to be well cared for.

Another genealogy blog that I am personally acquainted with the owner is "history- genealogy site" by Barbara deMare of New Jersey. She has much information and methodology noted on this website and if you are interested in Chapel's, Smiths, Carpenters, Halls, Avery, or Stratton she may have some information for you. Her ancestors were here in the USA in early 1700. Give her blog a read and see what you think of it.

In case you are not aware of it, there is a place called Tribal Pages that you can use to enter your family history on, post pictures, make it available to all or give it password protected security just for family members. I have two sites, one for my family and one for my in-laws family. What I like about these is the ease of use, easy editing, and the nice look they have. For a price you get more room for pictures and no ads on the site, but the price is very reasonable. I have lots of room for everything I want to put there but haven't been working much on it lately. Was without my computer for a few months and just got it back on the Internet recently and am trying to catch up on all my projects.

May is a special month for me as I am going to the National Genealogical Society's conference in Kansas City, MO. I have never been to one of these conferences and I am wanting to go especially since my friend Barbara will be there as well as my other friends Helen and Sue. We are called Famgeno's as we have a website on MyFamily.com where we congregate with others to discuss our genealogy research and family matters and have chats once a week. We have many members though not all join in the chats. We have become like a large extended family and three of our members have found connections to each other in researching their ancestors. It is truly a small world.

I am hoping to put more information on my blog in the coming months about my research and about my trip to NGS in KC as well as other websites, magazines etc that I find useful. I may be able to help someone else out there find something they need.

Until next time I remain dedicated to my mother's memory and her search for her ancestors.

No comments: