Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Cole saga continues

In looking through my mothers papers I came across a letter written to her by a genealogist that she hired to do some research for her on the Fonda-Cole names in 1981. She found this information, "A Palmer Cole and Susannah Fonda Patterson, both of Perth, married January 8, 1853 (per rec. of the First Presbyterian Church of Broadalbin.)" I will be asking for a copy of this record from the First Presbyterian Church of Broadalbin as soon as I can.

Well, it was under my nose all this time. Susannah Patterson, married Palmer Cole about the same time that Jane Cole would have married John Fonda. Jane would have been the last child to leave the household as Jonathan and Permelia (I believe these are husband and wife, not siblings, but will have to research more on this for proof) have left the household, especially if Susannah who I note was a Fonda before becoming a Patterson, would be joining the family, so she was probably widowed when she married Palmer. I will make a note to search for her as a Patterson and a Fonda when I am able to do so again; a Fonda family with her as a child and a Patterson family with her as a spouse although it will be hard as the census' for that time period do not list names except for the head of household. I will have to rely on other records of the area.

Some other records Mom had were from the Saratoga County Historical Society. They gave her some information on Cole and Rider surnames. There was a Jane Cole that died 3 Oct 1899 that was wife to Solomon Cole; her age was 73 and she was born in Providence making her born circa 1826. Her burial place was not known. Her father is listed as William Rider and mother was a Susan SNU. (surname unknown); There was also Arnold Cole age 57, who died 2 Jun 1895 - born circa 1838 - a farmer born in Broadalbin and buried in Union Mills, his father being Solomon Cole and his mother being Jane Rider - both parents listed as born in Saratoga Co., NY. In 1903, on 18 Mar, William Ward Rider age 77, born circa 1826, a farmer born in Fulton Co., NY and buried in Union Mills was the son of William Rider born in NY. Mothers name unknown. And later that year of 1903, on Oct 18 John Cole age 62, born circa 1841, a teamster, born and buried in Union Mills son of Solomon and Jane Rider Cole, both born in Union Mills. As I go through more of Moms papers and records I will be posting what I find here. Until the next time.

No comments: